Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum returns to the the Just In News Podcast for the first time since his historic run for Florida governor in 2018. Mayor Gillum talks with Justin about what it will take to flip Florida blue in November and his efforts with Forward Florida Action to register and engage 1 million voters throughout the state. In a wide-ranging discussion, Mayor Gillum also talks about the unhealthiness of the campaign trail, how to get people to care about politics who never have, what advice he’d give to 1998 Andrew Gillum, his go-to karaoke song, the purpose of Black History Month, who will claim victory in the Iowa Caucus, his prediction of a possible floor fight at the Democratic convention in July, and more. Here are some of the show highlights:
- Around 0 – 5 mins: Opening, shout-outs, shameless self-promotion
- Around 5 – 11 mins: Mayor Gillum on Chris Cuomo’s workout routine and the unhealthiness of running for office
- Around 11 – 24 mins: Why Republicans don’t want to get out the vote, how get people to care about politics who never have, and what Forward Florida is doing to flip Florida blue in November
- Around 24 – 28 mins: Mayor Gillum on Black History Month. What does it mean today, and what does Mayor Gillum say to those who acknowledge our shameful history of slavery, segregation and discrimination but want to simply move on from it.
- Around 28 -37 mins (the end): Justin’s super lazy questions he wrote in 5 minutes: What advice 2020 Andrew Gillum would give 1998 Andrew Gillum? Who will win the Super Bowl, San Francisco or Kansas City? Who will win the Iowa Caucus? How will the Democratic Primary unfold? What is Mayor Gillum’s go-to karaoke song?